Monday, October 31, 2016

Fresh Faced



When it comes to facial cleansers, will any product do?  In my opinion, no.  The appropriate cleanser for your skin type will set the stage for the products to follow post cleansing. While cleansers aren't designed to be traditional exfoliants, they will lightly exfoliate your skin and allow for better product absorption.   

My morning routine is cleanser, eye cream, hydrating mist, serum, moisturizer, SPF and makeup.  

My evening routine is cleanser, eye cream, hydrating mist, serum, moisturizer, spot treatment if necessary. 

What I look for in a cleanser is its ability to remove makeup, dirt, oil, impurities, basically the whole day.  I do a double cleanse morning and night, and I don't want to be prompted to remove excess makeup with a toner, facial wipes or any other makeup removing medium.  I prefer a gel cleanser as I feel it washes away impurities more effectively and leaves my skin lightly exfoliated, softer, smoother and refreshed after each cleanse. I like for it to smell good, and have active ingredients in it that normalize oil production, treat breakouts and help prevent further ones from occurring.   

I absolutely love and recommend the products below to anyone with a skin type like mine which is oily/acne prone. My skin varies in its degree to which it produces oil, breaks out, is normal, more sensitive, etc. according to the season, hormones, and as I age, just like anyone else.  So taking those factors into consideration, these products are on rotation in my washroom and I use them accordingly.  



 Alba Botanica Acne Dote Deep Pore Wash - I adore Alba Botanica products in general and was so happy when they produced this acne fighting line.  It does so in a non-irritating fashion, but just gentle enough to combat mild breakouts. The 2% Salicylic Acid (BHA) acne treatment, is an anti-inflammatory agent that breaks up dead skin, oil, dirt, and pollution that clogs pores and causes blackheads and other acne lesions. It removes makeup with just one thorough cleanse, I use about the size of a nickel, apply to wet skin and lather it up in a circular motion for 1 minute, rinse and repeat.  I repeat just because I like to, not necessarily need to. The scent is a clean, botanical almost medicinal one, which I just love!!! (Don't use Salicylic Acid if pregnant, nursing, wannabe or have an allergy to it or Aspirin.)



Alba Botanica Pineapple Enzyme cleanser - This is the first product I ever tried from Alba and instantly fell in love!  It contains bromelain, which is a digestive enzyme primarily found in pineapples that, you guessed it, dissolves lifeless skin cells.  One pump removes makeup effectively, fights breakouts, normalizes oil production, and it has a light tropical scent. You will feel a slight tingle as the bromelain does what it does best.   This is actually great for all skin types.  
Image Skin Care Clear Cell Salicylic Gel Cleanser - I absolutely love this cleanser!!!  I first used this back in 2004 after buying it from the Image counter at IECSC in Las Vegas.  I bought this cleanser and the Clear Cell Medicated Acne Lotion, and couldn't wait to go back to my hotel room and jump in the shower to use them.  I applied about a nickel-sized amount to my hand, lathered it up and applied it to my face, I thought my face was on fire, but I stuck it out.  I was so impressed with the way it removed every last trace of makeup and left my skin so smooth.  Never did I think a cleanser could do that, and because of this cleanser, I hold every cleanser that I try to that standard.  I loved the clinical/spearmint/clean scent.  Outside the shower, I then used the Medicated Acne Lotion, OOOMMMGGG, HOT, HOT, HOT, but I stuck it out and fanned my skin, stood in front of the AC for a minute.  I figured it was so intense due to my skin never having experienced the products before.  And I am was so ecstatic that I did, the following morning I woke up to find my acne about 60% better!!!  I have been hooked on this duo since then and now only use them as maintenance, (1-2 X per week and only at night since that is when skin goes into repair mode).  The cleanser has 2% Salicylic Acid and the lotion has 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, BPO, in it, tough stuff!  I also use the entire Image line on my clients in the treatment room and they love the results!!  (Don't use if pregnant, nursing, wannabe, or allergic) pH balanced, no toner needed.



Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash - I believe the year was 2002 when I first used this cleanser.  What drew me in initially was the soft scent of spearmint and the frothy texture as I sampled it at the sink under the bright lights in the Origins store.  Btw, don't you just love sampling bath products right there in the store?  Between all the scrubs, soaps, cleansers, butters and souffles, it's like a mini spa experience!  I just love entering the earthy Origins shops, the birchwood cabinets and ginger and peppermint/spearmint that fills the air!  With all that said, this is what I would only classify as a fluff cleanser as I personally don't care for the way it cleans or leaves my skin feeling, best I can describe the texture is grippy, ick.  However, it's almost like an aromatherapy experience because of the lavender and spearmint in it, and I love the frothy and fluffy consistency.  I apply a dime-sized amount and only use this when my skin is normal with no breakout in sight.  I just can't part ways with it and I am happy with what it does, however minimal.  



Image Skin Care Ormedic Balancing Facial Cleanser - A luxurious and gentle gel cleanser for all skin types.  I love this cleanser for its soft mango scent, ability to remove makeup, and organic ingredients.  Very soothing and calming, I can't say enough great things about it! I do a double cleanse using a nickel-sized amount several times a week or on days when my skin is on track and I want to keep it balanced.  pH balanced so no need for a toner.  

For people with aging, sensitive, or dry skin, your goal of clean and prepped skin should be the same, but products and potency will vary greatly.  There are other formulas that will better suit your skin whether it's lotion, cream or gel cleanser.  

Thanks for reading, next installment will be serums!  For now, stay sudsy! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment