Saturday, October 15, 2016

For the Love of Vanity

With so many girls, ladies, and women taking pride in beautifying their dressing tables or vanities currently, thought this was the perfect time to compile a collection of a few of the most elaborately styled beauty corners!

But first, an anecdote! I created my first vanity when I was about 8 years old out of my retired baby doll's bed!  It was about two feet long, one foot wide, and I stood it up on its side length-wise.  I only had about a square foot of room to play with but I artfully arranged a tiny mirror, lip gloss, and other cute little trinkets on it.  The bottom held neatly folded mini towels.  Oh, I just loved coming into my room and admiring it!  I only wish I had a photo. 

The vanity or dressing table is such a magical and personal space!  It holds the power to make one feel confident, ready to face the world.  It's a place where we can luxuriate for hours creating the perfect look or rummage frantically for the basics while running late.  

The foundation is a desk, or actual vanity, preferably with ample storage and an over-sized mirror. From there, the possibilities are endless.  Decorate with a vase of flowers, scented candle(s), framed photos, love letters, jewelry box or jewelry dishes, beautifully packaged face creams, luxurious body lotions, perfume, makeup brushes standing at attention in decorative cups filled with pearls or beads, acrylic cosmetic towers, etc.  I love starting my day with a clean space and seeing the messy aftermath only a few minutes later! ;)  My favorite part is that my vanity is ever changing and evolving just like me and my current mood,  I design and redesign to my heart's content!



Loving this color palette and floral design on the vanity.  So feminine and pretty!


The beautiful Ava Gardner appears to be enjoying a milkshake (?) among her pretty crystal dishes and pots of beautifying potions!



If people think that photo staging isn't an old past time, look no further than the elegantly posed Carole Lombard who's positioned for the perfect shot at her glowing vanity! 5k likes on Insta, no? ;)



This photo of Jean Harlow embodies the epitome of Old Hollywood Glamour!  Simply decadent!


Ava Gardner once again.  Loving all the bottles displayed.


I am not entirely sure who this belongs to, but it's gorgeous!


Breakfast at Tiffany's!!  The table itself is nothing much to look at, in fact it's almost as if they quickly assembled some plywood prior to filming.  However, the assortment of perfume bottles, jewelry and cosmetics makes me wish I could zoom in 500x from different angles!


How pretty and romantic!


The amazing and beautiful cast of Will & Grace!  I love and miss this show!!


Beautiful Bridget Bardot looks like she is posing for a Valentine's Day ad!  


Quintessential beauty room! Not sure who this is....Lana Turner?



Jayne Mansfield's pink wall to wall fuzzy bathroom! The sink is very streamlined and elegant.  


Nicole Kidman, such a beauty and I love the mirrored vanity!


Audrey Hepburn's vanity displays a very organized and bright monochromatic appeal.


Marilyn Monroe raising a glass amidst a messy, yet pretty, vanity.


Marlene Dietrich in a satin robe standing next to a beautiful mirrored vanity with an assortment of bottles, perfumes, and powders to satisfy any glamour girl. 


Who can forget the makeover scene from Working Girl?  Love the soft pink flowers, Lancome perfume and beauty products, Clarins face oil, and Van Cleef & Arpels fragrance, the soft glow from the lamp and pale gray finish of the vanity!


Sophia Loren accessorizing with a sparkly necklace.


Rita Hayworth admiring her beauty.


And the winner is!!??  The stunning Georgina Chapman of Marchesa!  My very favorite of them all!  The mirrors, glass accessories, color palette and flowers.  So elegant, chic and classy, complete with a big, beautiful window framed by luxurious curtains!

Thank you for reading to the end beauties, I know this was an extended post!

Au revoir!

1 comment: