Thursday, October 6, 2016

Previously Loved Gems

When I was a little girl my mom would always take me to thrift stores and I dreaded it!  That overwhelming stuffy smell that filled the air and the idea that I would be using other people's housewares and wearing previously worn clothing was enough to send me running!!!  

That all changed when I was a freshman in high school, I instantly realized that gems were waiting to be discovered and I could find what I couldn't in regular clothing stores.  I suddenly started to beg my mom to go thrifting, she would just laugh and shake her head in disbelief. :) We had about 4 or 5 favorite stores in our area that we loved to explore meticulously.

At the time my style was predominantly black, for no particular reason other than what I liked was available in black mostly.  Being that it was the 90s, I scoured the racks for jackets with Chinese collars, long cardigans, dresses that were very lacy, spaghetti strap, and A-line.  Oh wow, I am smiling just thinking back to those days, I would definitely wear that style all over again.  I remember cultivating my own unique style with the diverse pieces I was finding, not just trying to be trendy.  By the way, love that the 90s are being revisited as of late!

Over the years my love for thrift stores has become greater and I get super excited to visit all my faves once a month or so...I have also taken a liking to other departments aside from clothing, especially the knick knacks and glassware!  Also, I do make sure that the items I buy are in good condition or at least fixable.  

So here's what I picked up over the last month from several stores combined...



Love this oversized black sweater that has silver tinsel-like thread running through it!  It was in perfect condition, I washed it inside out on a gentle cycle and let it air dry. Perfect for Fall & Winter with leggings and boots!!! I feel like I could have gotten this from someone's closet in the 80s! :)




Such a pretty vintage looking knitted sweater dress.  Love all the detail, structure and slight bell sleeves!  Again with leggings and boots or heels and bare legs for indoors.




The mesh overlay on this skirt really reminds me of the 90s! The dots are little clusters of glitter, perfect for me as I love sparkly things! I washed it inside out on a gentle cycle and let it air dry.




I love chiffon, sequins, beading and sparkle, and this dressy top has it all!  It glistens so much more beautifully in person. I love tops like this on their own or under cardigans, blazers or even my work uniform (Esthetician lab coat).  I also washed this inside out on a gentle cycle and let it air dry.  It's a true black in person, the color appears a little washed out on camera.





This is a pretty night gown or house dress that was in perfect condition, still had original store price tags on it.  Love the pink and black flowers and pretty lacy design across the back and the front.  I washed it on a gentle cycle and let it air dry.






I am so in love with this pleated, ruffled, shiny, button-down, glamorous top!  Even though it's like 5 times too big for me and I swim in it, I love the bell sleeves that extend beyond my hands, it makes me feel cozy.  And the ruffles are so pretty.  I kind feel like poet or clown in it, in the best way possible, of course! haha...



This hot pink tank next Summer with white capris or cargo pants!




I already own a few variations of this color/style top, but I couldn't resist it, perfect condition and I love pleats!  Perfect with pearls and/or chain necklaces.





My mom actually brought this romper bedecked with sequins to my attention, which elicited a gasp from me!  I inserted a clothes hanger inside of it for the photo as it kept collapsing and folding.  I will be removing the built-in shorts to wear it as a dressy top!  I also washed it inside out on a gentle cycle and let it air dry. Lost a few sparklies, but who can tell?




This is so chic!  I love the collar and mini rosette trio on the neckline, so fancy!  It's a satin smooth material and beautiful print!



The perfect shade of coral, so vibrant and lively.  I actually have a pretty extensive collection of coral tops and this one is my very favorite!  This one, too, will be paired with white pants in the Spring & Summer.


 


Dreamy pink flowy top reminds me of a lush peony!  Can't wait to wear it.  It's a little sheer, so a light cami will be worn underneath.  



I love milk glass and I picked up the glass on the left from an antique store and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all bundled together with tape at a thrift store.  I cleaned them up with dish soap and baking soda, so they are vibrant and beautiful! Great addition to my growing collection.



My first piece of blue milk glass is this pale blue mini dish.  I love the translucent aspect of it, and it holds my jewelry perfectly!




Is this not the most perfect pink/lavender shade?  That is what I thought of this beautiful vase when I added it to my cart!  Reminds me of a lot of my nail polishes ;)



And last but definitely not least is this mini pink depression glass teacup from an antique store!  It was part of a set of 4, but I only wanted one.  It's just so precious!

Who else loves thrifted treasures?  I am so happy that those who are ready to part ways with some of their belongings make it possible for others to enjoy them! :)

2 comments: